We’ve all heard that too much screen time is bad for us in a bunch of ways. Among other things, it can affect our sleep, eyesight, stress levels, self-esteem, anxiety, and social connectedness. Every now and then we just need to put the screens down and step away! Are you ready to have a reset but wondering about things to do that don’t involve your phone? Here are a few ideas for your next screen-free evening.
Be a Player
- Practice your golf swing or shoot some hoops in the driveway
- There are plenty of things to do with cards; try a new card game
- Break out a board game! Here are some of our Sass Crew favorites
- Walk and talk with your family. Maybe it’s time to brainstorm next year’s vacay destination!
- Nothing beats sitting around the firepit and making s’mores
- There are always things to do in the yard. No time like the present to clean out the flowerbeds
- A bubble bath and a good book are good for the soul
- Break out your face masks and nail polish for some beauty treatments
- Do you keep a journal? Break it out and dump all your thoughts and feelings into it
Get in the Kitchen
- Baking for your friends and family feels good for you and them
- Practice creating some cocktails
- Prep your meals for the coming week. You’ll thank yourself later!
- You’ve been putting it off but now’s the time to purge your wardrobe, clean your jewelry, and catch up on your ironing
- The holidays are coming. Decorate and make your house feel festive!
- Write some real life, snail mail, honest to goodness thank you letters
However you spend your screen-free evening, you’ll be glad you gave yourself a break from the norm. We all need a reset from time to time. And this list of things to do is just the beginning!
Kim is the owner and publisher of Sass Magazine, as well as the owner of Sass Studios, a boutique graphic design studio in Frederick, MD. When not in the office, Kim can be found doing some of her favorite hobbies—reading a book, dancing, traveling, or playing with her rescued pitbull.