Now Hiring: Magazine Sales Associate
Join Our Team!
Self-Motivated Magazine Sales Associate Wanted for Fast-Growing Lifestyle Media Company
Sass Magazine, headquartered in Frederick, MD, is a growing women’s lifestyle and professional publication, both as a regional print magazine and a national online media source.
Sass Studios, publishers of Sass Magazine, seeks an organized, detail-oriented and ambitious individual to join our growing team. The right candidate will join our growing and collaborative team to sell print and digital opportunities to advertisers on both a local and regional scale. The Magazine Sales Associate position will work directly with the founder and owner of Sass Magazine, and will communicate with our advertisers, sponsors and partners.
This is a part time, WFH position, based on approximately 10-15 hours per week, with the possibility to grow into a full-time position. While hours are flexible, candidates must be available during normal workday hours as/if needed or requested. Compensation is commission-based, with the option for additional bonuses based on quarterly sales success.
The position is ideal for someone who is self motivated, a good networker and a creative, out-of-the-box thinker. Must be capable of staying on top of details and deadlines. Excellent follow-up skills are a must! The candidate should also have excellent top-notch skills via email, phone and in person. This position is available for those with prior sales experience, media sales experience is preferred but not required.
If you are a driven and ambitious individual who is hoping to continuously learn on the job, network with new and exciting people, improve your communications skills, and have opportunities to empower women—you’re in the right place! If you want to clock in and clock out, while simply being a “yes (wo)man”, – sorry, this position is not for you!
This position is mainly virtual, though availability for in-person meetings, tasks and events is a bonus. Candidate must supply their own computer.
Magazine Sales Associate Responsibilities:
- Locate, contact and prospect potential new advertiser accounts, both local and regional
- Build and sustain long-lasting relationships with existing and potential clients. Check in on accounts on a quarterly and/or monthly basis (either via email, phone, in-person etc) to foster on-going relationships
- Provide accounts with estimates of the costs of advertising products or services
- Prepare and deliver sales presentations to new and existing accounts
- Persuade clients to purchase advertising by communicating the benefits of various types of advertising.
- Inform accounts of all available options for advertising including print, digital, sponsorships, paid spotlights and more, and provide samples as needed
- Maintain sales revenue monthly or quarterly goals as set by director/manager
- Draft Insertion Order (IO) Forms/Contracts for advertiser accounts
- Be knowledgeable about all current advertiser offerings, editorial content and events
- Random bullet point inserted to see if you are paying attention. Put the secret code 2015 in your application email subject line
- Keep up to date on industry trends and/or monitor the sales, prices, and products of competitors
- Help set up and attend Sass events as needed to facilitate potential and existing advertiser relationships
- Discover and attend new networking events and opportunities as needed to facilitate potential and existing advertiser relationships
- Aid in magazine distribution as needed, with a focus on getting sample issues to all advertisers
- Attend sales meetings, trade shows, and training workshops as required.
- Assist the marketing team in the preparation of media kits and promotional plans.
Additional Competencies Required:
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to evaluate prospective client needs, establish creative solutions, and build long-lasting relationships
- High school diploma or GED.
- Very strong communication skills, including both written and in-person
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Prior sales experience
- Dedication to error-free work and communications; attention to detail, including spelling and grammar
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Strong negotiation and consultative sales skills, without being too pushy.
- Ability to keep track of multiple deadlines, contacts and follow-ups.
- Knowledge or experience with Hubspot or other CRM systems is recommended
- Ability to maintain a positive demeanor, with friendly phone skills, and efficient email and/or in-person communications
How to Apply
Think you can help us continue to grow our women’s lifestyle magazine? Here’s what we want to see from you:
- Send us a cover letter and/or video and tell why you’re the best candidate for this position. Sell us on why we would be lucky to have you on the team.
- Include information on how you stay organized and on top of deadlines and why you’re the best candidate for this position
- Include your current resume with your contact information as a pdf file
- Email all materials in one email to email@example.com. Include the secret code in your subject line followed by “Sass Sales Associate”. If you don’t have the secret code, please do not apply.
Deadline for Applications: Ongoing
Need Some Inspiration?
Check out some of our career-related articles for some inspiration and tips on job applications and the hiring process:
- Ace it All: From Resume To Job Offer
- 9 Ways to Handle a Shifting Career Path
- How to Set Yourself Up for Success
- 5 Challenges of Working from Home and How to Avoid Them